1. At World's End is out in Asia Pacific
2. It's my Aunt Helen's birthday.
3. Some other people's birthdays.
4. It's Monsieur Cantona's Day.
Yes. Monsieur Cantona was born on May 24 1966. And today, this post is specially dedicated to the greatness of the Man Utd Legend who is known as The King to people in Old Trafford.
A little history of Cantona:
- His first club as a professional is at Auxerre in France.
- He is no stranger to indiscipline:
- In January 1989, he threw away his shirt after being substituted in a friendly game vs Torpedo Moscow.
- At Montpellier, he threw his boots at fellow player Jean-Claude Lemoult's face. Many demanded him to be sacked but he was defended by Carlos Valderamma and Laurent Blanc.
- In 1991, at Nimes, he threw the ball at the referee having being angered by one of the decisions. He was summoned for a hearing at the FFF. When it was announced that he would be banned for a month, he walked up to each of the three hearing committee members and said "IDIOT" directly at them. His ban was extended to two months.
- He was ultimately persuaded by Michel Platini to play in England.
In January 1995, he infamously assaulted racist Crystal Palace fan Matthew Simmons by "the kung fu kick". Subsequently he was banned for eight months on all competitions. The surprising thing that no reporter has heard before would be this comment. He made one line in a press conference and then left the table:
When the seagulls... follow the trawler... it's because they think... sardines will be thrown into the sea.He famously chastised the current Man Utd squad for not having those maverick entertainers like himself or George Best. He calls the current squad assholes.
He has a larger-than-life figure and he goes around with his neck collar up.
His personality is what made him the best player in the EPL and Man Utd. After his retirement he went into acting - something which he trained during his suspension period in 1995. He made numerous Nike ads and appeared in some French movies, the best being The Overeater and appeared as Monsieur Du Fox in Elizabeth starring Cate Blanchett. It was Man Utd fans, actors Christopher Ecclestone and Angus Deaton who persuaded him to make his appearance in the film.
The KING. No whining, No Mercy, No Judgement calls.
Famous quotes about or by Cantona:
- I am GOD.
- France does not deserve Cantona. England deserves Cantona
- The Irish public should bow to the feet of Roy Keane, not slate him as he is the best player they will ever have to boast.
- Didier Deschamps is "the water-carrier". Deschamps only exists to pass the ball to more talented players.
- After his first training session in heaven, George Best, from his favourite right wing, turned the head of God who was filling in at left-back. I would love him to save me a place in his team - George Best that is, not God."
- Paul Ince about Cantona before he entered court: 'We stayed at the Croydon Park hotel. So we got up in the morning and I've got me suit on - the nuts, know what I mean? I knock on Eric's door and he's standing in jacket, white shirt, long collars like that [he gestures to describe long, pointed collars], unbuttoned so you can see his chest. "Eric, you can't go to court like that", I told him and he says, "I am Cantona, I can go as I want"'.