Perhaps Abdullah Badawi could be doing us a little favour.
Late last night, a document, allegedly a manifesto of Najib in relation to the upcoming UMNO elections surfaced on alternate online news portals, including Malaysiakini. The content in the document was later clarified by a press representatives of Najib that claimed that Najib did not write that manifesto but instead was from a supporter group.
The content of the alleged leak manifesto states:
1. “I will defend the supremacy of the Malays until the last drop of my blood if I win the mandate of the delegates to become the next Umno president at election to be held in March 2009. This is the solemn promise I made to my late father before he died”.
2. He also promised to set up a Council of Presidential Advisors to be made up of Umno elders and past prime ministers.
3. “I will also ensure that my family won’t become involved in business or interfere in the administration of the country. I will carry out my responsibilities without any influence from other countries.
4. “We realise that BN was scarred during the March general election. I will do all I can to return Umno and the Barisan Nasional to its former glory. I will also not hesitate to use all means to destroy elements that can threaten the stability and peace of the country.”
5. “I have been attacked by my enemies who claimed that I carry out Hindu rituals. All of you can refer to S Samy Vellu who will vouch that I have never gone with him to any Hindu ceremony. I swear in the name of God that I am a faithful Muslim.”
6. “I have also been linked with the murder case of Altantuya. I once again swear in the name of God that I never knew her. I am ready to face any court to clear my name which those who are envious of my achievements are trying their best to tarnish.
7. I deny that my SMS communication with Muhammad Shafee Abdullah was in any way an abuse of power.
8. “I strongly deny allegations that I am involved in the Eurocopter scandal. The contract went through due process and procedures. The Defence Ministry accepted the decision and agreement from the Ministry of Finance was obtained in the selection of the Eurocopter tender. The Defence Ministry issued a Letter of Intent on Sept 15, 2008. A Letter of Intent can be issued at anytime and in accordance with proper procedure, it was issued on Sept 15 2008. I state my readiness to be investigated by PAC or BPR!
9. “I have full confidence that delegates will use their wisdom in making their choice of leadership next March. They should be intelligent enough to gauge who among their leaders truly represent the interest of the Malay community and who has in the past betrayed the Umno’s struggle by becoming an agent of a foreign country”.
The contents of the alleged manifesto has spooked a lot people including myself, since the intepretation was first published at Susan's blog.
If you read all of the nine points there in the morning, it simply implies of the return of Mahathirism, with Mahathir as an advisor, clamping down on dissent and opposition, Malay supremacy, bathing Chinese blood on the dagger and etc. Yes, it spooks, right?
Yes, many felt that Najib is not fit to run as Prime Minster following many shady allegations that involves him. There is the war of words between Dollah Badawi and Mahathir, which Badawi said that Mahathir behaves like a camp director whereas he is not an UMNO member anymore.
UMNO ULTRAS RULING THE ROOST
UMNO ultras have been ruling the roost even after Abdullah took over in November 2003. So that's why Abdullah Badawi could not implement his reforms, even until now. During the first 4 years there are still Mahathir's kuncu-kuncu in the Cabinet. And after March 8, there are UMNO members, the ultras are objecting to the reforms simply they do not like it and fearing that whatever they benefit will end up kapoof. The reasoning is simple. With Najib taking over, reforms are likely never to take off the ground because of ultras.
CAN IT BE ABDULLAH'S BIGGEST FLIP-FLOP / GRAND GESTURE?
Most of the people knew that Najib was allegedly involve in many things including the Altantuya affair and the latest of all, the misuse of funds for the Cougar helicopter purchase. Pete Kamaruddin and Anwar Ibrahim have been exposing many revelations that puts Najib and Rosmah in a very dangerous and threatening position. As for Badawi himself, he was forced by the other UMNO members particularly the ones from Mahathir's camp to take him as his deputy. Abdullah never wanted Najib right from the beginning and to him, the only way to do so is to call his grand gesture, but look carefully for he could be digging evidence on Najib. Najib has many allies in the Defence Ministry, and swapping portfolios is a way to isolate him out.
Harakah's Sunday piece was pretty interesting. Since revelation by revelation on Najib hits out, some of us like Pete could find ourselves being harassed or threaten by unknown people if more info on Najib's misdeeds hit out. That was why a political analyst claimed that Pete was deliberately sent to ISA to protect him, while Anwar goes underground and in a hush over the past week because assasination attempts on these two could be possible.
The portfolio swap was to get proof on the mismanagement. That's only one part to drop Najib. And then, slowly and slowly, more pieces of info could leak out by insiders connected to Abdullah, including the smoking gun of the whole show - the military intelligence that shows Rosmah's direct involvement in the Altantuya murder.
If Najib is prosecuted in within this six months, the transition plan is cancelled. Deal is off. Won't that be the biggest flip-flop or his grandest gesture shown if he keeps on as PM?
What about Pakatan Rakyat? Unless they can think of a parallel plan to kill two birds in one stone, whatever they idealize for is useless. Or they could be watching how the chips fall in UMNO and Barisan before making their moves and keeping a low profile for now. If Anwar said of waiting until December 8, good. Let's see how it plays out eventually.