Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Merdeka Celebration Night

I always had in mind of enjoying the party on Thursday night when there is a Merdeka celebration downtown. But I know that there's not likely to be a place to park a car especially from the first round I had in 2005. So, the thing is I deliberately waited until 8 plus to go home, have a bath and then had a quick dinner at a restaurant in front of my house.

So, at 8.45 p.m, I was at somewhere in the courthouse, taking a bus to town and walking all the way from Central Market to there. And here I am, at the field of Merdeka Square.


The celebration only kicked off at 11.30 p.m., but everyone was there, trying to get the best seats in the house. You've got the Federal Reserve Units, cops, and even St. John Medics all over the place. But the roads leading to the square was sealed off. What was the turnover of people swarming into places like maggots? 200 thousand!

Yeah, you've got the Ministers coming in, the international dignitaries coming in and a lot of celebrities there. Hey, even our lovable MC, Mahadzir Lokman, a guy whom I idolized during his TV3 days was the one and definite choice to host the show.

The Son-In-Law was there to hoist the flag, reenacting the event where the British flag was lowered and the Malaysian flag raised up. There are even shouts of Merdeka by AAB.

I just went straight away to take a lot of pictures from start to finish. But that fella Rais was saying no photo taking when the anthem was played. Anyhow, I don't have space to move around for I am getting sandwiched by a big bunch of tampis in front of me but behind the barricade.

Oh, well, the rest of the photos are at my Flickr gallery.

But I felt something was missing from the actual spirit of Merdeka celebration. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post in any comments that do not trouble readers of the blog.

Providing an ID is recommended. If some reason you wish to use an Anonymous name, please leave a name below your comments. From now on, comments with no names will not be considered for moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...