Friday, May 9, 2008

Police: This Candle Light Vigil Is Cancelled....Until We Say So!

Update at 1.55 a.m:

Haris told us that he indeed was picked up to but the police had a misunderstanding with him, perhaps with confusion over orders and mistaken identity, I suppose. However, I stumbled upon a photo shot by Augustine showing Haris at the middle of two poles, unfortunately it was blur.

The presence of the police force over this matter instead of paying attention over much more serious matters shows how corrupt some of the top brass be and going for the wrong objective instead of the proper one, which is in other words a waste personnel, resources and tax-payer's money. I was told that they had been waiting since in the morning here.

Marina came over to the press club at around 10.30 pm to have a talk with all of us. At the time of writing the first draft of the post, she was around at the club. And most of the bloggers like us gathered at there. For this occasion, Rikey had made 5 t-shirts containing 20000 threads that carve the words of RPK.

On the other hand, the one dozen photos that I had shot for this occasion can be viewed at Facebook via this URL.

Original post:

The people are awaiting for the impending release of Raja Petra tomorrow at 9.45 am after bail has been paid today by Marina Abdullah. Tonight is the second round of candle light vigil at the Merdeka Square after the previous one in the front gate of Sungai Buloh prison.

Together with Howsy and Wattahack with Galadriel coming in later, we attempted to enter the square grounds and the Royal Selangor Club but were barred from doing so with exception of the police, club members or the media. However, we could only take pictures from the barricade.

At one point, Batu MP Tian Chua with Hishamuddin Rais met with a high-ranking police officer and they were allowed to enter with a handful number of members of the public until two officers blocked the small path heading to the club.

Later on, we had learned that lawyer Haris Ibrahim had been taken away by the police to a police station and was released with help of Edmund Bon, and there has been an altercation between the police and the club members. The club management got into an interference where there were too many guests unregistered entered the club premises and there was not much of control on who came in. The bottom line was that police personnel were not allowed into the private premise.

A few people who managed to get into the grounds encountered policemen especially a few arrogant officers who were bragging and calling them 'playing the hero'. We also learned that the high-ranking police officer who had confronted some noted people including Haris and giving the orders at the vicinity of the Club is none other than ACP Zulkarnain Rahman, the very same police officer who stopped Anwar Ibrahim's speech at the Sultan Sulaiman club on Black 14.

The account of what happened at the club can be read at fellow blogger Tony Yew's blog.

At this time of writing, I am writing at the NPC club and there could more details surfacing up later on with photos, so please watch this space. Hopefully more will be up by tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post in any comments that do not trouble readers of the blog.

Providing an ID is recommended. If some reason you wish to use an Anonymous name, please leave a name below your comments. From now on, comments with no names will not be considered for moderation.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...